There are lots of ways in which you can build family unity one of these ways is through family game night. The importance of family game night can’t be stressed enough it is time to bond together as a family while creating positive memories. Here are some of the reasons that family game night should be part of your weekly routine.
1. It costs little or nothing: Games that the whole family can play are relatively inexpensive. You can grab a deck of cards anywhere for little more than pocket change. Sets of dice are also inexpensive and games like charades or 20 questions are completely free. Even more complicated games like Monopoly you only have to purchase once.
2. There are games for all ages: There are games that you can play with very young children and games that will amuse older children and adults. Nobody needs to miss out on family game night because of their ages. It’s also an opportunity to encourage older kids to help the little ones.
3. Physical disabilities don’t have to be a barrier: Table games or board games don’t require physical skills. Everyone can still join in regardless of physical limitations. You can even take a deck of cards to visit grandma in the hospital.
4. They can be educational as well as entertaining: Some educational games can be boring, but even games like snakes and ladders can help a young child with adding or counting. Solving puzzles and word games are always a chance to learn something new.
5. Games build character: Children, and let’s face it, some adults too need to learn how to lose gracefully. Losing with dignity is every bit as important and winning. Learning that you won’t win every game is an important life lesson and it helps to build character. This is a chance to teach cooperation and that playing the game can be every bit as fun as winning.
6. Gives families the chance to communicate: Game night isn’t just about fun, although that is certainly a big part, it also gives families a chance to talk about their week and what is going on in their lives at the same time. It is a time to share and be together laughing and enjoying time spent together.
Family game nights are great tools for building family bonds and maintaining family cohesion. You have to set aside the time to spend together each week and build these all important relationships.